Who among us does not crave for a clear skin? While a clear and flawless skin can very well be achieved with help of expensive foundations, concealers and other make up products, chances are deep inside you will not be satisfied. Wearing makeup is like a mask, it merely hides the blemishes and acne marks and does not make them disappear. Not to mention the fact that not everyone can afford to spend a fortune on big brands of cosmetics.
Having a naturally clear skin means not having to use a lot of chemicals and makeup products on your face. To get a clear skin you need to tackle your skin issues and the best way to do so is by using safe and natural products that do not come with any side effects. Luckily there is a treasure of products in our medicine cabinets and kitchen that can solve most of our skin care problems if used right and will not burn a hole in your pockets. So, today we are going to talk about simple home remedies that can make your skin flawless and glowing naturally. While most of these may not do a magic overnight, a long term use of them will surely make your skin healthy, improve the quality of your skin and help you get a better face!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one magic potion that is a cure to many of our skin problems. The use of this is however often underestimated. Apple cider vinegar is an excellent product to unclog your pores, reduce their size and treat blemishes and acne.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water but don’t rinse
- Swipe it on dry face using moisten cotton ball to tighten skin
- Do it twice daily as a toner
Natural acids like alpha hydroxyl acid and acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar will clear up your skin and give you a better complexion overnight by stimulating circulation and minimising pores. It is recommended to use it for a longer term to say goodbye to blackheads, whiteheads and other annoyances that trouble your face.
Another miracle product found in every house is honey. Who has not heard of the benefits of honey for various ailments? It is an awesome product that can benefit our skin in multiple ways. It has anti-bacterial and hydrating properties that will:
- Help you get over uneven skin tone
- Give you a clear skin
- Give you a glowing and youthful skin
Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C, sugars and fruity acids. These helps in exfoliating skin dead cells and whitens discoloration or dark spots on the skin and also control oil production by maintaining optimum pH levels.
- Combine equal parts of honey and lemon juice and mix to get smooth mixture
- Clean your face using mild cleanser then pat dry
- Apply on your face by avoiding fragile skin like around eyes and leave it for about 15 minutes
- Wash with warm water followed by cold water then pat it dry
Your face may sting for a couple of minutes but do not worry, it will go away. Follow this once a week
One of the best ingredient you can use to get a clear skin is lemon. Use of lemon helps in removing dead cells and reduce dark spots due to presence of citric acid and vitamin C in them. Lemon also acts as a natural bleach to give you a better complexion. You can derive the benefits of lemon in various ways:
- Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice all over your face and rinse after ten minutes. Immediately after that apply fresh cucumber slices to soften and moisturise your skin as lemon tends to make the skin dry. This can be done daily or every other day.
- Another option is to squeeze the juice of half a lemon and mix it with one tablespoon of raw honey. Apply it on your face and neck and rinse it off after 15 minutes. Pat dry with a soft towel.
- Not many of us are aware that lemon acts as an excellent exfoliator. All you need to do is mix freshly squeezed juice of lemon with a teaspoon of sugar. Apply this mixture on your face and gently scrub the skin in circular motion for about ten minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water after ten minutes. Application of this mixture once a week can give you youthful and glowing skin naturally.
Who has not heard of turmeric and its myriad of benefits? It has antiseptic properties and works as an excellent skin lightning agent. It is also used to cure allergies and skin infections and helps in minimising age old scars too. There are two very simple ways you can reap benefits of turmeric for your skin:
- Mix equal quantities of turmeric with gram flour (besan) and make a paste using milk or water. Use it as a facemask and rinse away once it dries. Using this remedy once a week promotes a lighter skin tone and removes scars.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with pineapple juice to make a paste. Apply it on your face and leave it on till it is completely dried. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Using this paste twice a week can significantly remove appearance of spots.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera provides multiple benefits to the skin. It helps in curing acne and inflammation due to its anti-bacterial properties and helps in soothing skin irritation. It also helps in stimulating cell growth and works as a natural moisturiser. Many companies have introduced ready to use aloe Vera gels in the market, although to reap its maximum benefits it is recommended to use fresh aloe Vera.
- Extract the gel from an aloe Vera leaf and apply it on your face using a cotton ball
- Allow it to dry for about half an hour and rinse it off with lukewarm water
This remedy can be followed several times in a week.
Also Read : Skin Whitening Home Remedies
The popular stomach friendly food and a power house of skin friendly ingredients is papaya. It helps in eradicating dead skin cells and promoting smooth, glowing and clear skin. It also helps in curing pus and skin inflammation. To make papaya mask follow this simple DIY recipe:
- Cut and mash a slice of ripe papaya
- Add a tablespoon of honey and sandalwood powder and make a smooth paste
- Apply the mask on clean skin and massage gently.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse with water.
Make sure you moisturise the skin well after applying this mask as papaya can cause the skin to become dry.
Cucumbers are a good source of hydrating and nourishing ingredients for the skin. They help in improving overall health of the skin by removing dead skin, repairing damaged cells and giving the face a fresh glow. To use cucumbers:
- Cut some of fresh cucumber slices and gently rub them on your face. Leave it overnight and wash with warm water in the morning. Do this daily to rejuvenate your skin.
- Alternatively, you can also make a mixture of cucumber and lemon juice and apply it on your skin. Wash it off with warm water once it is completely dry.
- If that is too much of work for you, you can squeeze and store cucumber juice in an air tight bottle and keep it refrigerated. Apply this juice with a cotton ball, let it stay on face for 20 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. It also works as a natural cleanser.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda, commonly found in every kitchen works best to maintain PH levels of your skin. It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help in curing skin ailments and provide a healthy and youthful skin. It also works as an exfoliator that helps in removing dirt and impurities. Here is how to use it:
- You can mix baking soda with equal amount of water or lemon juice and apply it gently to exfoliate your skin. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Another way to use it is by mixing it with raw honey. Apply this mixture on clean damp skin and massage for about a minute. Wash with lukewarm water followed by a splash of cold water to close the pores.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is recommended by many health experts due to antioxidants present that help in nourishing and detoxifying the body. Applying green tea on the face helps in restoring elasticity and reversing the signs of ageing.
To use, boil green tea leaves in water and take two tablespoons of it in a bowl. Add a teaspoon of brown sugar and use it to scrub your face.
Drinking a cup of herbal green tea every day also promotes a healthy and glowing skin along with many other benefits that it provides.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best and oldest remedies for healthy skin. It has antioxidant properties and been used extensively in many skin care products. A direct application on the skin helps in maintaining moisture and softness of the skin and hence it is the best remedy for dry and damaged skin. Its anti-bacterial properties also help in preserving a clear skin tone. It is also suggested to apply coconut oil every night and rinse with warm water in the morning. Massaging your body with warm coconut oil every day in winters makes the skin soft and supple.
Mint contains menthol which has soothing and cooling properties that help in keeping the skin healthy and radiant. It is also considered to be one of the best home remedies for men. It also contains anti-oxidants and healing properties that help in curing various skin infections. Here is a simple DIY mask that you can make:
- Place a tablespoon of mint powder in a clean bowl.
- Add equal amount of yoghurt and mix well.
- Gently massage the paste on to your skin and wash it off once completely dried.
Walnuts help in achieving a glowing skin. Walnut powder can be used to exfoliate the skin and remove dirt and impurities.
- Mix equal amounts of walnut powder and yogurt and make a smooth paste. Apply the paste evenly on your neck and face. Once dry, scrub gently with your fingers and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Eating two to three walnut kernels every morning also helps in maintaining a healthy skin.
13. Olive Oil
The Vitamin E in olive oil helps in keeping the skin hydrated and restores its elasticity and freshness. It provides a clean and clear skin. All you need to do is to apply a few drops of olive oil and massage gently onto your face. You can let it be on your skin overnight or wipe it gently with a damp towel.
Oatmeal has skin soothing and exfoliating properties. It not only moisturises but also provide multiple benefits to the skin making it healthy. Here is a simple DIY oatmeal mask that you can easily make at home:
- Take two tablespoons of oatmeal and mix it with equal quantities of both lemon juice and honey.
- Apply this on face and neck and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it with lukewarm water and pat dry.
15. Rose Water
This age old ingredient is every household favourite and works as an excellent home remedy for clear and glowing skin. It helps in increasing blood circulation and works as a natural astringent and toner.
Gently apply refrigerated rose water on your face by using a cotton ball. Let it air dry and moisturise as usual. Follow the routine every night to have a healthy and glowing skin.
Tomatoes contain antioxidants that keep the skin youthful. They also help in reducing dark spots and blemishes on the skin.
- To use, extract the pulp of one tomato and mix it with rose water
- Massage on to your face and keep it on for ten minutes
- Rinse with water and pat dry
Alternatively, you can also rub a slice of tomato every time you come back home during summers. It provides a cooling effect to your face and also cures sunburns. To reap maximum benefits, use this remedy daily or as often as possible.
Apart from these remedies, it is also essential that you take a balanced and nutritious diet, drink plenty of fluids and minimise the use of cosmetics on your skin.