Dandruff is a chronic condition of scalp caused by different reasons including the dryness, sometimes due to the condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis. It is the result of varying factors like yeast or fungus infection (Malassezia), psoriasis, stress and imbalanced diet. Dandruff is not a complicated condition to be worried for but in the same way you cannot ignore it. Many anti dandruff shampoos with Ketoconazole and Zinc Pyrithione helps in treating dandruff but the main disadvantage of using these chemical shampoos are when you stop using, dandruff comes back on your scalp. To avoid this problem there are many home remedies which works best in treating the dandruff and these are effective as well as economical.
1. Coconut Oil
Ancient method for treating dandruff is with coconut oil as it possesses the anti- fungal property. It acts as a deep moisturizing agent that helps in treating dandruff by removing the dryness in the scalp. It infuses in to the root of the hair and helps in preventing the damage. It also contains anti- microbial properties in it.
- Heat the coconut oil and wait till it comes to palm bearable temperature. Apply the coconut oil on your scalp smoothly with your fingers excluding hair. Cover your head with towel for at least 25-30 minutes. Rinse your hair conscientiously with cold water. Follow this for at least twice or thrice in week to get good results.
- Apply coconut oil on your scalp with fingers, massage gently and leave it for overnight. Wash off your hair with mild shampoo the next day and do not use conditioners after hair wash because coconut oil itself acts a natural conditioner.
- Take spoon of powdered camphor, mix it with coconut oil, apply it on your scalp and massage gently with your fingers. Allow it to be on your head whole night and rinse your hair next day with mild shampoo. It can be followed daily to treat dandruff.
It is the most familiar ingredient found in kitchen and also the cheapest ingredient with vast medicinal properties. Diosgenin, the compound present in fenugreek which helps in treating hair related problems. Apart from this it is also filthy rich in many proteins and vitamin C.
- Handful of fenugreek seeds should be soaked in water overnight, grind it to make a paste the next day morning, apply the paste to your scalp blandly and allow it to be for 30-45 minutes. Rinse your hair with mild shampoo.
- Mix henna to the heated mustard oil and cover it for 10-15 minutes then drain the oil. Add the fenugreek paste once the oil becomes algid and winnow the mixture gently. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it for 25-30 minutes. Rinse your hair with mild shampoo.
- Make a paste with overnight soaking of fenugreek seeds in water. Mix curd to the paste, apply it on your scalp and leave it for 45-50 minutes. Rinse your hair properly until the powder goes completely from hair.
Lemon has citric acid in it which acts against the dandruff caused by fungal infection and it also prevents itching caused by dandruff. The acidic nature of lemon supports in maintaining the pH of scalp this results in eradicating dandruff.
- Mix few teaspoons of lemon and dilute it with equal amount of water. Apply it in your scalp and massage gently. Allow it for 10-15 minutes then wash off your hair with shampoo.
- Mix few drops of lemon in curd and apply it on your scalp. Leave it for 10 minutes then wash your hair with mild shampoo.
4. Tea Tree Oil
The tea tree oil has anti- fungal property which helps in removing dandruff from scalp. There will not be any side effects by using tea tree oil. It acts as natural conditioner for hair.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil and apply it on your head leaves it for overnight. Wash off your hair with diluted shampoo.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in shampoo before washing your hair.
- Mix tea tree oil and almond oil/ olive oil in the ratio of 10: 2, winnow both oils properly and massage gently by applying it on your scalp with your fingers for at least 10-15 minutes. Leave it for 30-40 minutes and rinse your hair with shampoo thoroughly.
Desquamation of dandruff from scalp is controlled by aspirin because it has salicylic acid in it. It is the key ingredient in many anti–dandruff shampoos.
- Mix the powder of aspirin with shampoo, apply it on your hair and massage gently. Allow it to be for 1-2 minutes and wash off your hair thoroughly until the powder gets removed.
- Make powder with 2-3 aspirin tablets; mix the powder in few ml of vinegar. Apply it on your scalp gingerly for 2-3 minutes. Allow it to be in your hair for 25-30 minutes. Wash off your hair with mild shampoo.
6. Baking Soda
By reducing the pH of scalp baking soda controls the growth of fungus. Baking soda desquamate the dry skin or cells from the scalp by absorbing the excess oil. Avoid shampoo usage after treating your hair with baking soda.
- Rinse your hair, apply baking soda in to your scalp and rub it zealously. Leave it for 2-3 minutes. Rinse your hair with cold water. In initial days of using baking soda you feel dryness in the hair but after some week’s you will find the natural oils produced from scalp which maintains the flakes free scalp and smoothens your hair.
Vinegar is a good anti- fungal agent which helps in maintaining the pH of scalp and controls the growth of fungus/ yeast. Among all vinegar apple cider is majorly preferred one for treating dandruff. It cleans the pores and hair follicles by acting as a natural hair clarifier.
- Wash your hair with water and apply the mixture of apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio of 1:1 i.e. equal amount of both on your scalp and massage it gently with your fingers. Leave it on your hair for 10-15 minutes and rinse your hair with cold water. Be careful while rinsing, does not allow it to enter your eyes. Follow this for thrice in a week to get rid of dandruff completely.
Treating dandruff with curd is also one of the ancient techniques which is considered as very effective method. Human body contains yeast, when it is activated it causes inflammation which results in yeast growth in other parts of skin. To control this yogurt is used; it is the best remedy because it prevents the scalp from scaling.
Mix two spoons full of pepper powder to a cup of yogurt and mix it well. Apply this mixture to your scalp excluding the hair. Leave it for 25-30 minutes on your scalp and rinse off with cold water using mild shampoo. Pepper has anti-fungal property in it.
9. Ginger and Garlic
Anti – fungal and anti – inflammatory properties of Garlic and ginger acts as a stimulant for hair growth and the lubricious oil present in ginger prevents the dandruff while garlic eliminates the dandruff.
- Take few cloves of garlic, crush it and rub vigorously on your scalp for at least 2 – 3 minutes. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash off your hair with cold water.
- Mix few cloves of crushed garlic with a spoon of full of honey and apply the mixture to your hair and massage gently. Wash of your hair with cold water using mild shampoo.
- Extract the oil from the peeled and crushed ginger by squeezing it with cheese cloth; mix it with 100 ml of sesame oil and apply it on your scalp and massage gently. Leave it for 45-60 minutes and rinse off your hair with cold water using mild shampoo.
10. Olive Oil
Olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer to the hair; it is a proven therapy for dryness in scalp as it prevents flaking. Warm olive oil is a one of the best remedy for dandruff problems.
- Heat the olive oil, when it reaches the palm bearable temperature applies it on your scalp using cotton but exclude the hair. Cover your head with warm towel and leave it for overnight. Rinse your hair in cold water using mild shampoo.
- Even stress or depression causes dandruff, so try to keep your mind relax by meditation, exercise and yoga.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water instead use cold water.
- Try to eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
- Do not use chemical hair products constantly.
- Use mild herbal shampoo and dilute the shampoo before using it.
- Try to follow any one of the above technique for best results.
- Do not use anti-dandruff shampoo constantly because when you stop using, dandruff will increase.
- Rinse your hair repeatedly after shampooing.
- Clean your comb or hair brush regularly and use fine tooth comb, it helps in getting rid of flakes from the hair or scalp.
- Scratching scalp causes soreness, it is better to avoid it.
- Applying henna also prevents dandruff.