How To Get Rid Of Baby Acne ?
Baby acne, usually refers to harm less dermatological condition that is very common in babies. In the rare cases babies are born with small reddish bumps (acne) whereas in most of the cases, newly born babies experience this condition after two to four weeks after birth. Erythema Toxicum Neonatorum (ETN) is the official medical name given for baby acne. Though these blemishes are not really acne, people treat them as acne and always ask doctors or medical experts for remedies. Researches and medical personal have different opinion about the causes for this acne.
Baby Acne Causes
- Doctors usually say that the differences in conditions between the mother womb and outside environment are one of the reasons.
- Some researches argue that the hormones released by mother during the end of pregnancy period cause baby acne.
- This condition is commonly seen in healthy newborn babies also and this condition is observed in breast fed babies and formula fed babies alike.
- The exact reasons for baby acne are not known as medical experts are postulating so many theories.
- In general, male newborns are prone to baby acne more. According to a study, around 50% of male newborns got baby acne where the percentage is just 33 in case of female newborns.
Baby acne looks very much similar to the teenage acne. In some cases, one can even observe pus filled blisters which are very small in size. They vary in size also and the density of acne varies from one baby to other baby. Baby acne which almost looks like red blotches surround with red skin usually appears after two days of birth (in 90% of cases) and will disappear with time. There is no need to worry if one or two red acne present on babies face (with out irritation) and if the irritation is high and the acne is spreading rapidly one need to consult the doctor immediately.
Pregnant mothers usually get confused about baby acne with more complex infections like eczema and cradle cap. Usually baby acne is not serious as they don’t harm baby’s health and usually disappear within one to two months. If the baby acne is present in any part of the baby after the third month also; it is better to consult the doctor or medical expert. If the child is feeling any itching sensation or rashes in the place where acne is present or if the baby acne is combined with other problems like vomiting, sleeplessness, fever etc. then consultation of medical expert is compulsory.
There are no special tests to test the baby acne. One can easily know the baby acne just by taking a careful look at them. Experienced mothers and professional doctors use their experience to test baby acne and usually they don’t recommend any specific tests to check baby acne.
There is a difference between baby acne and infant acne. Baby acne develops between two to three weeks after birth and will last until baby attains three months of age. On the other hand, infant acne starts at three to six months of age and will be seen until the baby attains two to three years of age. Doctors can easily recognize the baby acne just by looking at them and some specific diagnosis tests are recommended if the baby feels unwell because of some other problems including acne.
Baby acne usually don’t cause any discomfort for babies and they will simply disappear within days to months time period. Other than acne, if any of the other symptoms like fussiness, appetite for milk decreasing, cough, sleeplessness etc. are present then they must be treated with care.
- Babies drool and spit frequently. Continued moisture around the lips and chin area can cause acne and it is mother’s responsibility to clean frequently.
- Kids usually scratch pimples with their hands which results in more infections and complex problems. So using soft hand mittens is a good idea, if you observe your kid scratching pimples.
- Stop using soaps, creams, lotions that cause pore clogs as this will result in more acne.
- Choose dedicated baby powders and use cotton balls to apply the powder.
- Eating so many fruits and fatty foods by breast feeding mother will result in more acne and try to avoid heavy eating if you are breastfeeding your kid.
- Some medicines will have side effects and if baby acne appears after using a particular medicine consult the doctor immediately and ask for an alternative.
Baby acne are classified as mild, medium and strong based on the density and severity of acne present on skin. Usually mothers have a wrong opinion that baby acne leads to dry skin, eczema etc but in reality they occur due to different reasons.
Images, Pics and Photos of Baby Acne :
- If you notice deep cysts after acne got disappeared, consult the doctor immediately and ask for medicines.
- In general, baby acne bothers parents more than the newborn kid. Frankly, kids don’t get any discomfort because of acne only.
- Acne is common problem and one of the symptoms in so many baby infections. So don’t take it lightly and proper medical attention is necessary if the problem is severe.
- Usually parents have the habit of pinching the acne that is present on the baby face. This is not at all good and with this type of actions acne may increase.
- Try to clean the baby face regularly with moistening soap and use lukewarm water. After cleaning, drying the baby’s skin is an important task. Pat with smooth towel instead of rubbing with towel.
Changes in Lifestyle:
- Note that over bathing and cleaning the face with minutes to hours gap can increase acne and be careful while cleaning your baby’s face.
- Don’t use oils, lotions and other creams which are not recommended by doctors. If the product is doctor recommended then apply it with cotton balls.
Doctors usually don’t recommend any treatment for acne. If acne is strong and lingers on face or any other parts of the body, then mild creams are recommended by doctors. In most of the cases, acne will disappear without any treatment leaving no marks. Don’t try your own medicine without consulting your baby’s doctor as it may cause irreparable damage to your baby’s delicate skin.