Cough is an after effect of cold which keeps your throat and nasal way clear by removing phlegm. Your brain signals to cough when there is any blockage in throat or if there is any irritant. Coughing can also be due to infection, flu or any diseases. There are two types of cough namely dry cough (which does not produce sputum / phlegm) and productive cough (congestion due to mucous production). Severe coughing cause’s chest pain, difficulty in breathing and to overcome this problem it is better to follow few home remedies. There are many home remedies to control or cure the effect of cough.
1. Honey & Lemon
The analgesic properties in honey help in removing the mucus and smoothens the throat. Honey is used for treating dry cough since olden days. It also has anti-microbial property which helps in curing the sore throat. Similarly lemon has vitamin C in it which helps in fighting against infection and reduces inflammation. Honey and lemon can be given together or separately in different ways.
- A spoon full of Honey can be taken thrice a day. This would be good option for kids with cough.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey in hot milk and drink twice a day. This relieves you from the chest pain due to coughing.
- Mix equal amount of honey and lemon in hot water or plain tea. Drink this frequently in a day which helps in treating cough for short period. Honey helps in soothe and lemon clears congestion.
- Take honey and mix it with little lemon juice and small amount of cayenne pepper. Mix this in water and drink. It can be taken twice a day.
- Take Small piece of butter, mix few drops of honey and vinegar and make a fine paste. Eat this paste twice a day.
2. Ginger and Garlic
Ginger is well known medicine for treating cough while Garlic has anti-microbial property which helps in curing cough. Both can be used together or given separately to cure cough.
- Peel ginger and crush it and add it to boiling water. Allow the ginger to boil well and make it into tea. Filter it and drink twice a day. You can also add palm jaggery or pepper to it.
- Chewing the slices of ginger also reduces cough and rubbing of ginger oil on your chest helps in reducing the chest congestion.
- Add few cloves of crushed garlic in water and allow it to boil then add one spoon full of oregano. Once it is cooled add spoon full of honey and have this tea twice a day.
- Boil crushed ginger and crushed Tulsi. Allow it cool and mix few drops of honey. Have this tea twice a day to get better results.
Black pepper is used for treating cough and cold since many years. It gives instant relief from the cough and cold.
- Chewing two spoons of pepper with one spoon of rice before going to bed will reduce the cough.
- Mix few drops of honey in pepper powder. Make a small ball and swallow it without drinking water in between. This helps in reducing the cough. Follow this twice a day.
- Crush little pepper with black cumin seeds and salt. Have this mixture once a day to get relief from cough.
- Add black pepper powder in boiling milk and drink it. It gives great relief from cough. It should be taken at night before going to sleep.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric and carom seeds in one glass of water. Boil until it becomes half and drink this twice or thrice a day.
- Mix turmeric, pepper in the ratio of 1:1 and boil it for 3-4 minutes. Allow it to cool and mix one spoon of honey to it. Drink this twice a day.
- Mix turmeric in warm milk and drink it before going to sleep. It gives better relief from dry cough.
- Gargling can be done with turmeric. Add few pinches of salt and turmeric in Luke warm water. Gargle with it for twice a day.
5. Licorice Root
Add two teaspoon of licorice root powder in 250 ml boiling water. Switch off the stove and cover it properly for 1-2 minutes. Drink this tea twice a day daily. It acts as an expectorant and gives relief from cough.
Put spoon full of dry powdered thyme or thyme leaves in a glass and add boiling water to it. Cover the glass for 5-6 minutes. Add few drops of honey and lemon in it and drink this tea twice or thrice a day. The flavonoids present in thyme helps in relaxing the trachea and ilea as these regions are mainly responsible for cough. This is an approved home remedy followed in German.
7. Flax Seeds
Add 3-4 teaspoon full of flax seeds in boiling water. Boil until it becomes viscous. Filter the extract, add 3-4 spoons of lemon and honey in it. Mix well and have one spoon of this mixture twice or thrice a day.
8. Cayenne Pepper
- Make a cough syrup with cayenne pepper, ginger, honey, apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio of ½ : ½ : 2 : 2 : 4. Boil it and drink this syrup 3- 4 times in a day to get relief from the cough. For better results drink it daily.
- Mix ¼ spoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of Luke warm water. Drink it once a day.
9. Mustard Seeds
Take mustard seeds and crush it. Soak it into water for about 15 -20 minutes. Filter it, take one spoon of soaked mustard seeds and put in warm water and stir it for about 10-15 minutes. Drink this water once a day.
Add 2 teaspoon of dried marshmallow leaf powder in hot boiling water, turn off the stove close the vessel with a lid. Allow it to be for 25-30 minutes and filter this tea and have it twice or thrice in a day to get rid of cough.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar
Add one to two teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water. Add few drops of honey to it. Mix well and drink it twice in a day. This Vinegar has anti-bacterial effect which helps in curing cough.
12. Basil Leaves/ Tulsi
It is the best homemade natural remedy for cough and cold. It has been used for treating cough from many years.
- Chewing Tulsi leaves of about 4-5 every day in the morning is good remedy for cough.
- Add few leaves of basil/ tulsi in hot boiling water and turn off the stove. Cover it with lid for about 5-10 minutes. Drink this tea twice a day.
- Take one spoon of extract made from basil leaves and mix it up with few drops of honey. Have this mixture thrice a day.
- Drink lots of warm water because sometimes dehydration causes cough.
- Steam inhalation with a drop of eucalyptus oil makes you feel better.
- You can also add eucalyptus oil in kerchief and inhale it frequently.