What Is ADHD ?
ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This disease is commonly found in children and teens. In some cases, it may persist in adulthood as well. It is indeed a neurological disorder that develops in the children. This is the most common disorder that is found in kids. This common disorder greatly affects the regular activity of the children.
Causes of ADHD
- Heredity Disorder – ADHD is an inherited disorder in most cases. Children may develop it from their parents.
- Brain Chemicals Imbalance – According to experts, neurotransmitters are the brain chemicals. Nerve impulses are transmitted by these chemicals. Imbalance of neurotransmitter may cause ADHD.
- Poor Nutrition – Poor nutrition may be a cause of this disease. The brain of the babies is mainly affected by abusive substances.
- Exposure to Toxins – There are also widespread effects of toxicants on brain development.
- Brain Injury – Brain injury is the most common cause of this disorder. With brain injury, attention controlling areas of the brain are mainly affected.
Symptoms of ADHD :
There are several symptoms of this disorder. These symptoms have been grouped into three different categories. These three categories are
Inattention – Child Suffering from ADHD
- Is troubled easily
- Does not pay attention towards instructions
- Does not listen anyone
- Shows careless behavior
- Forgets about regular activities
- Avoids sustained efforts
- Dreams in day
Hyperactivity – Child suffering from ADHA
- Feels agitation often while doing some task
- It becomes difficult for him to stay seated
- Cannot play quietly
- Feels restlessness
- Talks too much
Impulsivity- Child suffering from ADHA
- Feels angry while waiting
- Answers a question abruptly
- Keeps on troubling the others
- A child feels problems in learning
- Psychological disorders are common in such children, i.e. depression, anxiety, etc.
- Such kids show abnormal behavior sometimes.
- Different medical conditions, i.e. sleep disorders are the major indications of this disease.
Tests for ADHD :
If the symptoms mentioned above are found in a child then a doctor performs the following tests.
- Blood Test – A blood test is performed which indicates that whether a child has some physical disorder or he is suffering from ADHD.
- Neuropsychiatric EEG-Based Assessment Aid (NEBA) – Through this assessment, brain waves are measured. Higher ratio of Theta/Beta indicates ADHD. This test is not considered as a definite test for the confirmation of ADHD.
- Psychiatric Assessment – Mental illness can also cause anxiety and depression. A psychiatric assessment is required for the confirmation of ADHD.
Every child shows carelessness, lack of concentration and restlessness. In such cases, how ADHD can be diagnosed? If behavioral disorders and learning disabilities start affecting the academic performance of a child, it is an indication of ADHD. ADHD is not very easy to be diagnosed. In cases, when the behavioral disorders of a child are excessive and long lasting, ADHD can be suspected. A psychologist examines that whether a child behaves differently in certain situations or he behaves in a particular manner in every case to confirm that a child is suffering from this disorder. In diagnosis, a teacher can help a lot. Therefore, it is necessary to consult the teacher of the child.
ADHD cannot be completely outgrown in many children. A thorough psychological assessment can better determine the real problems. Children with ADHD can also have a successful career, but behavior training and preventive measures are essential to be taken immediately to counter the effects of ADHA before it destroys a child’s career.
- During pregnancy, mothers should avoid abusive substances and exposure to toxins.
- Child should also be protected from the toxicants exposure.
- Children should not be allowed for excessive screen exposure.
- Give your children proper time and attention. Avoid other tasks while talking to your children.
- Set a time table for your children.
Types of ADHD :
Children facing ADHA have different problems. Some people cannot sit still while some have a short attention span. Three major types of ADHA include:
- Hyperactive And Impulsive – Children having this ADHD always keep on moving and talking. It seems as a motor is driving them. It is really hard for such children to sit in the classroom to learn.
- Inattentive Type – Children with this type of ADHD do not talk too much. These children are usually careless and have a short memory. They also do not pay attention towards anything.
- Combined Type – This type of ADHD is found mostly in many children. Children facing this type of ADHD have impulsive, inattentive, and hyperactive ADHD.
- ADHD causes Learning disabilities that result in academic failure of the children.
- Abnormal attitude of a child causes troubles for others.
- Bipolar disorder like depression makes a child feel inferior.
- Sleep disorders occur that affect the health conditions of a child.
- Anxiety disorders occur that keep a child confused and nervous.
- A child feels restlessness, and thus, cannot focus at any task
- Hostile behavior develops in a child that destroys his character.
- Neurological disorder such as Tourette syndrome can also occur.
ADHD Home Remedies :
Children need love and attention. Therefore, show affection to your children. Love your children and appreciate their every effort for everything. Give your children proper time. Play with them. Go on visits and take part in other activities with them. Do not force children with ADHD to do that what is beyond their ability. Let them free to do anything like dancing, singing, and other activities in which they are interested. Help your child in organizing his daily tasks. Give directions to such children in low and soft tone. Make sure that your child does not get overtired. The most important thing is to stay in touch with the school teacher of the child.
There are different medication treatments of this disease. Behavioral therapy and counseling is the best treatment for ADHD. A psychologist can do it in a better way. Counseling helps in solving the problems of children with this disorder. Some best treatments for this disease are:
- Behavioral Therapy – Teacher and parents should try to change the ways a child reacts. They can do so by learning the strategies of behavior changing.
- Psychotherapy – This allows children to talk about the issues they face openly. They can better learn to cope with different situations through Psychotherapy.
- Social Training – Through social training, children can learn the social behavior that will help them in developing social relations.
When to Seek Medical Care?
Symptoms of different types of ADHD have been discussed above. If you notice that any of these symptoms is long lasting in your child, it is the right time to consult a psychologist.